In order for your Echo device to receive newly released features, it often requires an update to its firmware, or the software that powers it. So long as the device is connected to WiFi, it will check for updates nightly. If you're eager to configure a new feature immediately, follow the steps below to force your Echo device to update its firmware.
Force a firmware update on your Echo device.
- Confirm your device is powered and connected to WiFi with a simple Alexa command. Ask about the weather, perhaps.
- Press and release the mute button, marked by either a strike-through microphone or circle, depending on your device. LED will illuminate in red to indicate that muting is active.
- Wait—likely just a few minutes, but maybe up to a half hour. Alexa will announce that she needs to perform an update, then proceed with installation. Once complete, the device will automatically restart, with the latest firmware and no longer muted.
Determine whether your software is up-to-date.
To see if your Echo device is running the latest version of software, follow these steps:
- Open the Alexa App on your mobile device or at alexa.amazon.com.
- In the primary menu, choose Settings.
- Select your device.
- Under About, compare the Device software version to the latest software version for your device.