A swipe of lipstick on the pucker elevates your glam in the blink of an eye – taking your ensemble to the next level. The beautiful formula (in a finish of your choice) hugs the lips to provide them definition, adding a brilliant pop of colour in the process. But the question arises – how to pick the perfect lippy to look and feel your best? Especially with the avalanche of products flooding the beauty market. Well, you’re in luck as this article walks you through a detailed guide on colour theory, helping you choose the right hues for your skin tone.
Picking the Perfect Lipstick for Your Skin Tone
The undertones in lipstick can bring out the skin’s latent radiance or make you appear incredibly washed out. Although there are no hard and fast rules to pick the ideal lippy, adhering to the universal colour theory is favourable. Before we get to this guide, ensure you have an unerring understanding of your complexion (or undertones). That’s right. It is the only prerequisite to finding your dream match in a lippy.
Struggling to determine your skin colour? Scroll ahead for a simple test to find out!
How to Determine Your Skin Tone
- Go to a place with abundant natural light – near a window at home or outdoors. You should avoid conducting this test in yellow or artificial light as it may lead to erroneous results.
- Stretch out your arm under the natural light and study the colour of your veins.
- If the colour of your veins appears green, know that you have a deep-tone complexion. On the other hand, if your veins look blue (purplish), you have a light complexion. If your veins look greenish blue, your skin tone is tan or wheatish.
- Alternatively, conduct the jewellery test to gauge your skin’s undertones. If gold jewels look the best on you, know that your skin has warm undertones. On the other hand, if silver accessories best complement your skin, it has cool undertones. Folks who rock silver and gold accessories with equal aplomb have neutral undertones to their skin.
Find the Best Lipstick Colour for Your Skin Tone
Light Skin Tone: Folks with a light complexion should try lipsticks with blue or purplish undertones. These variants will underline the natural colouring of your pucker. Embrace shades like cherry red and scarlet for a headline-grabbing lip moment. For nude shades, veer towards muted pinks and corals for a natural-looking finish.
Deep Skin Tone: People with a deep complexion should look for shades with orange, yellow or golden undertones. Brick reds, fiery pinks and bold oranges should be on your radar. If you wish to rock a nude lip, match the hue to your skin to find the best match.
Medium Skin Tone: If your skin has hues of pink and yellow to it, there are multiple shades you can flaunt. To satiate your penchant for pink, try berry or mauve to add definition and drama to your glam avatar. For a quintessential nude lip moment, you can dabble in muted browns and deep burgundies – the world is your oyster.
Other Factors to Consider Before Buying a Lipstick
Your checklist for finding the perfect lippy doesn’t end here. Here’s a laundry list of factors to consider before making the purchase.
- Staying Power: One of the most crucial tests should be the longevity of your lippy. A potent lip formulation should stay intact for 5 to 8 hours.
- Transfer Proof: Hate the lipstick marks on your favourite coffee mug? Try and test the lipstick formulation to see if it’s transfer-proof. Ideally, your lippy should be immovable, whether you are sipping on your favourite beverage or devouring a plate of snackable.
- Sweat Proof and Water Resistant: Steer clear of formulations that run with sweat and water. No exceptions.
- Feel on Lips: Look for lipsticks that feel featherlight and apply easily without friction. It should intuitively fill all the creases on the pucker for a polished look. Avoid formulas that are overdrying.
- Lip Health>>>: Nowadays, formulas are packed with satiating ingredients like jojoba oil, shea butter, aloe vera, and more to elevate the health of your lips. The hydrators bind moisture content to the tissues, making your pucker look smooth and flawless.
How to Make the Best of Your Lipstick
Picked a best lipstick of your choice? Scroll further for tips and tricks to make the best of it for your glam avatar.
- Use a Lip Scrub or an Overnight Treatment: Use a scrub or an overnight treatment to remove the dead-dried cells from your pucker. This will ensure a smooth and supple surface for an even lipstick application process.
- Add a Thin Layer of Lip Balm: A potent balm carries emollients that lock water content into the lips. Summon this product before going full throttle with your lippy.
- Use a Lip Liner: If your lipstick tends to smear or bleed from the edges, add a lip liner to your regimen. This nifty pencil contains the formula for prolonged wear, often creating an illusion of a fuller pout. Use a thin hand to slightly overline your lips, starting from the cupid’s bow and working your way outwards.
- Apply Your Lipstick: Now, bust out your favourite lippy and apply it meticulously. Most lipstick formulas are buildable – you can create a soft-focussed beauty moment or opt for a high-powered glam look.
- Some Razzle-Dazzle: If you like your pout to emanate a blinding shine, add a thin coat of gloss to your pout.